Monday, March 03, 2008

The Hunter's Blade Trilogy, by R.A. Salvatore

The Hunter's blade Trilogy is actually books 17 18 and 19 in Salvatore's series about Drizzit the Dark Elf that turned away from his dark civilization to live a moral existence.

I'd have to say that this is the most disappointing series for me so far. Practically the whole trilogy was about the war with the Orcs in the Spine of the World. For me, the best part of the Drizzt books are the individual journeys and adventures. This series is all about war, so there really is no adventuring. I found it very annoying that Drizzit assumes his friends are dead without really even trying to find out for sure. While he has good reason to suspect they may have NOT survived, he also completely ignores the evidence that they may HAVE survived.

Despite the fact that I was disappointed with this series, I felt it was worth reading. I am really hoping that it is the set up for great things in the next series. There have been definite hints about great things to come for the dwarfs that will make the great city of Mithril hall pale in comparison. I look forward to that time, but in the mean time I read this to keep up with the story and be ready for the next series. Keeping up has definitely been worth it so far.

No comments: