Monday, March 03, 2008

Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo, by Obert Skye

Leven Thumps thinks he is just an underprivileged orphan with no future and no hope. What he doesn't realize is that the magical world of Foo has been waiting for him since before his birth. Leven Thumps was born as the only person with the power to save both the real world and Foo. Leven slowly discovers his magical abilities and the friends that have been waiting to help him until the time he was ready.

I heard someone call this book the Harry Potter for a new generation, but I am not sure I believed it till I read it. While it is not similar in story to Harry Potter, it does have amazing creativity, excitement and adventure. I love that it is unique from many of the stories out there but not at all boring. I don't know that I have read many other books that start so strongly right from the beginning. I like that you don't know what is going on any better then Leven does at the beginning. The reader gets to learn right along with Leven and his friend Winter, what his destiny and powers really are.

I think this is an excellent choice for all ages. The story is simple enough for kids to enjoy, yet in no way boring for someone that needs more complexity in the story. In fact, I'd have to say that Obert Skye left me hungering for more. Thank goodness I waited till there were 3 books out before I discovered it...

No comments: